Home Forums Community Support Forum WordPress Plugins Orbisius Child Theme Creator files / code to copy to child theme

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    jhguynn
    Participant

My introduction to parent / child themes came through Studiopress / Genesis. When using their themes, I note that the parent theme does a lot of the heavy lifting re: php and css code (which is inherited by the child theme). Nonetheless, there is a lot of php code (frontpage.php, functions.php, etc.) and css styling in the child theme for the purpose of customization.

I was thrilled when I found your Child Theme Creator plugin, and I have begun to use it with the 2013 WordPress.org default theme. I am left scratching my chin (out of ignorance), wondering which part of the code to import to the child theme for customization, and which part of the code to leave with the parent. Obviously, I can do whatever I want, and it’s up to me.

Basically, I want the freedom to customize, yet I want to hedge against future updates so I don’t lose my customizations. Do I understand correctly that anything I customize in the child theme will override what’s found in the parent? In light of that, should I just add to the child theme what I want to customize and leave everything else as ‘inherited’ from the parent?

I could use some coaching about how best to proceed. Thanks!

• This topic was modified 10 years, 6 months ago by .
    Slavi Marinov
    Keymaster

Hi,

I can feel the excitement from your post :) Awesome!
    I am so glad to see you taking the time to learn more about child themes that means you’re future oriented.

Short answer: yes.

Long answer.
    We use child themes to apply our modifications to a theme.

When we create child themes we start with footer.php because it usually has some links pointing to external sites.
    Because of SEO reasons (it’s better not to link too much to external sites) it is a good idea to remove the links or at least add an attribute called rel=”nofollow” so SEO page rank stays with your site.

Next file that needs editing is style.css. The new CSS styles have to be added after the import statement.
    You can use it to change the colors of links, headings etc.

If you want to schedule a training session or if you want us to audit your site and look for possible improvements
    contact us http://orbisius.com/contact/

Please include 3 possible afternoon times that will work for you.

Slavi

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.