I started re-configuring a new laptop and started reinstalling everything.
These links helped me a lot and more specifically wclear's answer
The php.ini file suggests that on Windows the extension_dir folder is supposed to be ext/ BUT it doesn't work that way. You must use full path.
extension_dir = "C:/Copy/Dropbox/Dev/php-7.1.12-Win32-VC14-x64/ext"
Here are the steps from obtaining PHP to enabling cURL:
- Download PHP (these steps tested with 7.1)
- Add PHP folder to PATH environment variable
- Update php.ini file with absolute path for extension directory and uncomment php_curl.dll and php_openssl.dll extensions
- Update httpd.conf (Apache config file) to load php7apache2_4.dll module in PHP folder and set PHPIniDir to PHP directory
- Copy libeay32.dll libssh2.dll and ssleay32.dll into apache/bin (replace existing)
- Restart Apache.
Restart the server from the command line which should have been started as Administrator.
httpd.exe -k restart